Skip to main content

Why I want to build a website

I have been spending a lot of time thinking about starting my own website. I would really like to start with a fork off my blog, which thanks to my viewers, is starting to pick up some steam, but I really want the website to be more than just collection of my thoughts and opinions. It needs to be interactive, engaging and informative. I want to build a site that people want to use for the sheer joy of it!

I don't know when exactly this idea started, but it  would probably be around the time I signed up for Udacity's web design course. It was handled by a Reddit co-founder and it was a truly amazing class! I urge all of you to check it out and slog at it for a few weeks. (link)

Websites are this generation's primary form of art. There really isn't a better way to connect, collaborate and make something beautiful than putting it on the world wide web. That's probably why everybody ought to know how to build a website. It is easy to build a good website, but incredibly hard to build a great one. As my own blogging experiences have taught me, it is too easy to build a fort just for yourself and self-righteously languish in a forgotten part of the Web. That is easy, but deeply unsatisfying.

Forget the monetary side of things, even from a professional fulfilment POV, having a sucky website bites, hard. So designing a great website is not just about the content, but the way you package and present it. It involves a lot of trade offs and lots of experimentations. It's a great challenge!

I don't consider web design to be a primary career option at any time, but I think it is a great place to spend some time tinkering around.  What do you think?

PS: This is a video about a group of guys who started a pet project website. Really nice watch.

Popular posts from this blog

Patriotism through parody - my review of Shashi Tharoor's The Great Indian Novel

I consider Shashi Tharoor to be one of India's finest contemporary minds. His genius shines through in his every enterprise - be it oratory, writing or political commentary. I recently discovered another arrow in his intellectual quiver, comedy. The Great Indian Novel is a work of comedic genius - a grafting of the Woodhousian tradition of wry, hyperbolic humor over loud and noisy 20th century India. For fodder, Tharoor takes two of India's grandest stories, the Mahabharata and the Indian Freedom Struggle and fuses them into an irreverent comedic masterpiece. The idea to merge these two drastically different stories is a spark of pure magic. In retrospect, these tales possess remarkable synergy that makes this fusion very natural and spontaneous.

In the grandest sense, both these stories ponder the 'Idea of India'. The Mahabharata asks the question whether Bharat is the land of the usurping Kauravas or the DharmicPandavas. The Freedom Struggle asks whether India can a…

My review of Papillon

Papillon -- the semi-autobiographical account of Henri Charriere's escape from a French penal colony -- was a rage when it first released in 1969. It had a little something for everyone; a swashbuckling hero's escape from a corrupt regime's clutches, set in exotic tropical locales. True to his name, Papillon rises above his inner demons like a delicate butterfly, seeking redemption.

Fitness goals

Since it's been a while since I wrote anything on this blog, I thought I might share my current fitness goals with all of you. I am a strong believer in expressing your goals to as many people as you can -- your friends can be a great source of motivation and they will be a lot more accommodating of your efforts to achieve them.

As some of you might know, last year I struggled with severe cubital tunnel syndrome on both hands for close to 5 months, during which I had to completely stop all resistance training and cardio. Apart from the occasional stint on the elliptic trainer, I had a mostly sedentary life. I tried to keep my diet in check, but my weight slowly rose from ~170lb in November '15 to 181 lb in May '16. 

With my cubital issues resolved, I restarted weight training and cardio in mid-May. The key was to start slow. My strength had decreased by roughly 50% on all major lifts and my endurance had dropped by roughly 40%. I began with three days of full-body train…